Monday, April 5, 2010

Learning to live my new life....

Looking back it is funny how life can change so quickly! When my husband and I made the decision to home school our 10yr old son 6 months ago, I expected my life to be so much different than it is now. I expected hard work, sacrifice and lots of resistance from family and friends. WOW!  Not that we did not experience all of those things at first. Being a first time home schooling parent can be very scary at first. My main fear was,
Am I gonna screw up my kid? LOL.

When my son and I started this journey together it was me, him and our contact teacher. We happened upon a network of other home schooling parents a few months in and found our groove. Then we really started to have fun!

Well, I have learnt alot right along with my son on our home schooling journey. I have discovered how cool and exciting science can be through the eyes of a boy. That Math can be fun and easy when you have a computer program to work on and that I chose the wrong socials studies curriculum for my son this year. Oh yah, and that PE is critical for my son,, about 3 hours a day and preferably at the park with his new home schooling BF. So all this while, I was busy teaching my son, making sure his needs were met,, then it hit me,,,,

I was learning right along side him. Not so much text book stuff, but life! I am learning to relax and allow my son the freedom to be who he was created to be, that I am okay as a parent even if he is struggling and that I can give him time to figure out a conflict without jumping in right away to fix it for him. Most importantly,, I found my son again. I felt like his heart was being so battered where he was. Seeing the weight lifted off his shoulders, his eyes brighter and his spirit soaring shows me we made the right decision.

So as we go through this season of home schooling our son and maybe our daughter next year. I am looking forward to all the adventures we are going to go on! What fun......

No comments:

Post a Comment